The House of Commons is the lower house of Parliament and its 650 members of parliament (MPs) are elected by the UK public to represent the interests and concerns of their constituencies.
Job evaluation was identified as an ongoing requirement across five House of Commons Departments, spanning a wide range of administrative, professional, technical, specialist and operational roles.
Insight & Approach
Winning the competitive tender to provide two years of JEGS job evaluation services, Beamans worked closely with Departments to deliver a mix of both desk-top and formal job evaluations.
We undertook desk-top evaluations to support the recruitment of new roles. Due to the time critical nature of the recruitment process we aimed to complete these within 48 hours of receiving the job specification. Work included:
- Reviewing job information about the role in question
- Matching the job demands of the role against pay-band guidance
- In some cases, a further interview was required
- A brief report highlighting our grading rationale, together with any particular features of the role that may have affected the grading outcome.
For roles where there might be some express concern about the grading of the role, or because of the number of roles affected by the outcomes, a full JEGS evaluation was completed. Subject to role holder availability these were completed within 5 working days. Work included:
- Completion of a job analysis questionnaire by the role holder
- A structured one-to-one interview with the role holder to explore the job challenge of the role
- Compilation of a written JEGS job evaluation profile
- Agreement that the profile represents an accurate summarised reflection of the job challenge of the role
- Scoring of the profile and QA of outcomes
- A brief report highlighting the JEGS score and scoring rationale
In extending our contract for a further year, we are delighted that the House acknowledged that our services not only provide a cost-effective and efficient means of job evaluating roles but that those evaluations have a high-face value validity with management, staff and trade unions alike.
How can we help you?
Contact usto find out more